Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Cinderella

This old gal managed to stay out past midnight without any tragic consequence. It was actually 2:00 am by the time I got home, wearing both shoes and not a pumpkin in sight. I can't imagine what came over me, as lately even the smallest social outing seems unappealing, especially when it involves crowded downtown bars. It's an unfortunate (or fortunate) consequence of getting older. These days I am happy with small gatherings that involve wine and a board game or two.

The evening started out at a nice quiet restaurant with wonderful conversation and then ended at a crowded bar where loud 80's music made conversations barely audible. I thoroughly enjoyed the first venue but only lasted one hour at the second. As I smiled and nodded at drunken conversations that either made no sense or I couldn't hear at all, I tried to summon the old Samina that at one time actually thrived in such environments. She is not here anymore.

Alcohol is certainly a factor in one’s ability to enjoy themselves in certain clubs and bars, especially when everyone else is drunk. You need to get to a certain level of intoxication where you aren't concerned that it is jam packed and sweaty strangers are rubbing up against you. Where you don't mind paying a ridiculous amount for drinks and giving 25% tips. Where it doesn't matter if you're saying anything worth hearing, it just has to be loud and accompanied by crazy dance moves or strange hand movements so it gets laughter from the crowd.

There is nothing wrong with that, to each his own. Hey, I did it. I even enjoyed it, when I wasn't regretting it. But seeing as I don't drink silly amounts of alcohol anymore it's probably best for this Cinderella find her prince elsewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home